Cheswell Grange originally formed part of the Duke of Sutherlands Shropshire Estate, the seat of which was Lilleshall Hall. However, following the outbreak of WW1, the Duke decided that having all of his money tied up in land wasn’t ideal and eventually sold all of his Shropshire and Staffordshire Estate in 1917 to Sir John Lee. He in turn sold Cheswell Grange and its attached farmland in 1920 to George Harry Whitfield, the sitting tenant and great grandfather of Susanna Harley the present occupant. It has remained in the family ever since.
Until 1966 the Telford to Newport railway line ran straight through the farm. The railway bridge is still standing as a monument to this and forms part of the driveway down to Cheswell Grange. The railway was disused following Dr Beeching’s report in the early 60s.
The farm at Cheswell Grange was one of the very last in the country to still use shire horses to work the fields right up until 1965. There were 5 horses retired at the end named Duke, Major, Captain, Soldier and Budd.